Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Lengthy text message conversations about Doctor Who

...A fairly normal occurrence between me and my friend, Turner.


Turner:
The Doctor's "first" kiss with River? OMG, I just died.

Me:
The one where he's all squirmy?

YES.

Lolz. 

Also, I can't help thinking how selfish Amy is in two streams. 2,000 years vs. 36 years.

Yeah, she's totally selfish. Also selfish and stupid for "giving up" Rory cuz she couldn't have kids. 

The sad part is Clara makes you wish Amy and Rory were back on the show.

Yeah. Because she has NO personality and is painfully boring. Amy had mild, tiny personality. That's better than none.

Painfully boring gives her too much credit, lol.

Lol, Clinton says we're really mean. But he's the type of person that character is designed for.

Tell him he knows it's true.
Blech. And you married him?! What does that say about you? ;) lol

That...I married a straight, nerdy guy?

Lol

Did I ever send you the article about manic pixie dream girls?

YES, IT WAS SPOT ON.

I know! But people like Clinton--straight, somewhat socially awkward men--are who manic pixie dream girls are designed by and for. That's why he's okay with her.

True.
I miss Donna, and I really wish she didn't have to have her memory wiped. She'd make a fantastic Sarah Jane.

Right? 
At least Amy had enough personality that I actively disliked her. Clara I just don't give even a single shit about. 
Oh, and you know what else upsets me? That Clara will get to see him regenerate. 

I KNOW. But I hope 12 pisses her off.

I mean, it's not absolutely always been the case, but USUALLY it's really important, meaningful characters that are with him when he dies. Sarah Jane sees Three become Four, Rose sees Nine become Ten. 

Donna saw(ish) a regen. She saw Ten regenerate his wounds anyway. And had a freaking human-Time Lord metacrisis.

Yeah, but she's the best, man. 

I know! I want her back! *sobs uncontrollably*

I know!!! But she is very firmly written out.
But almost as good: bring Wilf back?

YES PLEASE. Wilf never even saw 11.

I know. That would be an interesting conversation, I think.

It would be, as Ten would say, brilliant.

When I rewatched the End of Time, I didn't cry at the end, like I did the last time I saw it. I cried when he and Wilf are talking and Wilf starts crying. You know, when he's trying to convince him to take the gun? "I think you're the most wonderful man and I don't want you to die." SO MANY FEELS.

More than so many. ALL THE FEELS.

ALL OF THEM, WE SAY.
Have you and I ever debated the merits of Rose/Nine vs. Rose/Ten before?

I think so, but I'm open for more.

Lol, you're my favorite person to talk Who with. This is why you so desperately need to watch Next Gen so we can add that to our repertoire. 
Well, I prefer Rose with Nine than with Ten. Thoughts?

Well, my problem is the writing for Ten and Rose was so much better, but Nine and Rose had much more on-camera chemistry. Granted, the writing for Ten was overall much better.

The chemistry is why I dig it. They're the true couple to me; after he regens, they just become too comfortable with each other and it's not as interesting for the audience.
Yeah, Ten's writing was better, but I love the fuck out of the season one finale. And really just season one in general.

Season one was fantastic, but it's a reboot season. There's so much explanation in each episode.

True enough. But without that, we'd have been lost. I think a season with Nine after all of that would have been stupid amazing. His character could have truly shown. But alas...

True. It would've needed insane levels of great writing. 

Well, they had that.

Very true. I feel like Eccleston just wasn't as good at the part as Tennant.

True. Tennant is my favorite doctor, but I love the shit out of Nine's personality.

True. The Dickens episode solidified my love for Nine.

I love characters with anguish. And he does legitimately seem alien, due to his views at the time. Whereas once you hit Ten, you almost forget he's an alien, because he's more gentle-natured, more willing to forgive, to fit with the human idea of morality.

True. I'm on the hotel episode, and I am going to call it the bogart episode.

Also, slightly girly moment, but I love the tiny tidbits and inklings of the budding love between he and Rose at that point in time. Dickens episode is a great example: him telling her honestly and impulsively that she looks beautiful, then quickly realizing he really did say that out loud and turns away and adds a quick, disingenuous "considering."

That's my favorite Nine/Rose scene. 

Really? That's awesome. Her flattered but bashful smile is stupid adorable, too.

I mean, it's Billie Piper. Of course it is. 

I'm really counting on her and David Tennant to pull this shit out of the water in the 50th.

Really? I've go so much more riding on Capaldi.

Well, yes, obviously because he's the next. But we won't see him until Christmas. So for the time being, fingers crossed the 50th won't be rubbish.
I'm happy the Doctor is once again an older guy. He always kind of was. Excepting Five.

Ha, that is very true. 
Ooh, I wonder what Capaldi'd TARDIS will look like.

Well, hopefully the same! I think it's silly that it changes all the time now!


(Also, apparently, at least in text message form, we are very fond of the word "true".)

No comments:

Post a Comment